Splio can automatically add analytics URL parameters in your designs. This allows identifying the source for each of your website visitors when they are coming from your campaigns, identify from which campaign they came from. Once analytics trackers are configured for a design, the URLs are automatically converted at the time of the sending.
You will find in this article how to setup tracking for:
Warning: the setup of trackers is not retroactive, this means that once it is setup it will only apply to all future designs using it.
Trackers can be found in ADMIN > Analytics. A few things to bear in mind:
- The "Always apply" option dictates the default state of each tracker in the design. If it is set to "Yes," the tracker will be enabled by default in all designs, disabled if "No."
- Note that you can only configure one Eulerian tracker and one Google Analytics tracker, while you can have as many custom trackers as necessary.
- The words "Google Analytics" and "Eulerian" will be displays as the names of their respective trackers in the list.
To configure the Google Analytics tracker, you need to fill three required fields:
- Campaign name: will identify your campaign within Google Analytics. This value can also be customized with variables (see below).
- Medium: is used by Google Analytics to recognize the marketing medium from which the analyzed network traffic comes. Values such as "email", "cpc", or "banner" are common.
- Source: describes the advertiser or publication which is sending traffic. It may refer to your website, your company, or the name of your newsletter.
Splio does not support other tags that are not utm_campaign, utm_source, and utm_medium. To implement other tracking tags such as utm_content or utm_term, it is necessary to implement the tags manually in the design and disable tracking.
The customization option shown below uses the example of a Google Analytics tracker. However, you can customize your trackers using other fields such as coupon variable etc. In the example below, we are using the campaign name:
Remember that the URL length can never exceed 255 characters when using variables. If a URL is too long, it will be invalid and may not be accepted.
To configure your Eulerian tracker, enter your tracking domain and website ID (mandatory). You also need to choose whether to send the contact's email address to Eulerian and the field whose value will serve as the Recipient's ID (you can select it from a list of basic and custom fields).
You are also required to provide a Campaign name, which can also be customized as shown in the previous example.
Unlike Google Analytics and Eulerian trackers, you can configure multiple custom trackers in Splio.
Each custom tracker must have a name, which will then be visible when choosing trackers for designs.
For each tracker you can define parameter-value pairs. The parameter value can be customized, that is, it may contain a value taken from a database field.
Inserting trackers in your designs
When creating a design, go to the "Analytics" page to display all available trackers. You can activate and deactivate each set of tracking parameters by using the button pairs on the right. You can also modify the contents of all fields.
Note: such modifications will only affect this design and its copies.
Using custom tracking domains
Splio gives you the option to specify a tracking domain on a per-link basis within the HTML source. To do so requires adding a
tracking_domain attribute to the link tag, as in the following example:
<a href="http://www.splio.com/" tracking_domain="nl2.splio.com">
The link will be processed by Splio at the time of sending.