What - Definition & context
A campaign sending birthday wishes and gifts to your contacts is a classic example of an automatic campaign. The scenario is repeated every day of the year, each day targeting the contacts who celebrate their birthday that day.
How to - Steps
Contact filter based on date of birth of your contacts
For birthdays and similar events, Splio offers the "event anniversary" operator which can be very useful when you have date formats such as date of birth.
Use this operator to match contacts a specific time (in days, months etc.) before their birthdays.
Alternatively, if you wish to target those contacts whose birthday happens within the current month or in a specific month of the year, make sure to follow the below structure when creating your filter.
Please note that this option works only if the "birthday" field has been set up as a string format.
birth date contains -$month$- :(current month)
birth date contains -01- :(January)
birth date contains -02- :(February)
birth date contains -03- :(March)
birth date contains -12- :(December)
Contact filter based on date of birth of your contacts who did not add the Mobile Wallet Pass (optional)
Wish your customers a Happy Birthday encouraging them to return to your store to pick a gift or reward on their birthday. Adding the Pass is a must if you wish to have your customers notified on the latest news and benefits of your brand. If you want to have more information on the Mobile Wallet, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Scenario: creating an automatic birthday scenario
When creating automatic campaigns, you can create follow-up action sequence. One possible use of such action chain is to send a reminder to your contacts that there are gifts awaiting them, and then to send another reminder to those, who still didn’t claim their presents.
First, let's create the initial campaign: to create a new campaign from any module, click in the "New Campaign" button on the top right.
Click on "Select starting channel and population", and select "Automatic campaign". A modal window will appear with all your possible targets. Under the section "Filters", select your Birthday filter, and validate your selection.
Once your population has been validated click on "Add sequence".
In the date options, select "Periodic date", and configure the periodicity at which to run the campaign.
If needed, you can add a branch after selecting your filter, design and frequency by click on ''add sequence''.
When - Our tips to time your campaign well
The data import frequency to consider:
- Through SFTP/Data Hub: you will hit your customers the day after. We would recommend scheduling your campaign to start early in the morning (as soon as your customer checks their phone or just after breakfast. 8.00 – 9.30 AM): keep in mind that the start date of your campaigns shall be always after the data has been synced in Splio.
- Through API: you can hit your customers in real time, right when the event has happened (a few seconds | minutes after they fulfilled a condition or an event).
The different one:
- Sending a reminder or late birthday email. These can boost your average open rates and revenue per email by over 20%.
- Standing out: sending a communication 1 or 2 days after the birthday.
- Making it mysterious.
The organized one:
- Planning a campaign a few days before the D day. How about sending a communication 3 days before the birthday, promoting a visit to one of your stores on the day of the birthday to offer a small present or a special offer upon purchase?
- Sending an email that impresses the recipient and shows you put effort into creating something special, just for them, integrating a cool glittering GIF for example.
- Creating a birthday email in different steps such as:
A) Sending an email suggesting that the recipient shares his or her wishlist with friends and family
B) Following up with a late birthday email or a reminder email
C) Following up with a week-long or month-long series of birthday wishes
The standard one:
- Soon after midnight | breakfast time | lunch break.
- Offering a discount coupon for 20% off, or a special offer code for a free gift.